Wednesday, September 10, 2014

a fair evening

I have so many great memories of going to the fair, starting as a wee little girl myself. I used to love to ride the motorcycles, the pink one with the sparkly paint was always my favorite. I remember scrambling up the steps, and side stepping my way around to have first pick.

As a mother, the fair has become a milestone of sorts. I still can recall the first time we took Aussie, a mental picture I hope to not forget. She was about three years old and we had been prepping her all day for the adventures that lay ahead. Of course, she had no idea what it was but knew she wanted to be dressed perfectly for the occasion. She strutted out in a black leotard, a purple tutu and leg warmers! I can still picture her so plainly, sitting astride a miniature pony in her fancy get up.


The bugs and I sat down yesterday before we left and scrolled thru photos from our previous fair days. It's so fun to see how much they change each year. To watch them become braver, to look back on their different hair styles and fashions. Aussie wore a leg warmer last night across one knee, just in case she fell, this year it wouldn't scrape her knee like it did last year. I had to giggle just a bit to myself, these wee ones come up with the best stuff. :)


To be perfectly honest, as a mother the fair is a bit of a nightmare. The crowds are thick and hot and wild. My head was spinning trying to keep everyone safe and accounted for. I was gripping the hands of multiple wee ones and continually counting 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, an ongoing mental headcount.





As the sky darkened and the lights began to glow purple and blue, we braved the lines and took up into the night on the ferris wheel. A family favorite. We snapped pictures and scanned the land contemplating what would be their final ride of the evening.




They settled on the giant slide. One final hurrah! Not sure my mamma nerves could handle too much more, we bid farewell until next year.

20 comments :

  1. Sounds like a fun time for the kids!
    Mel

    http://girlandthepolkadot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! Amazing pictures!
    http://wonderfullymadebypris.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello my friend!
    looks like you had a great family time! I guess that your cute kids were delighted.

    www.am-kubicowelove.blogspot.com

    Love, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you had so much fun! And you're kids are so cute x

    www.wineandolives.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures as always! We are headed to the fair this weekend too :) I love fair season!

    www.farmbrews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved fairs + carnivals as a kid, too! I agree, though- as an adult/parent, they are a logistical nightmare! :)

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, I love this! It would be a little terrifying to take four kids to the fair, but I love that you braved it! I would definitely be doing the mental headcount constantly too. But what amazing memories they made! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like so much fun! Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always loved fairs when I was a kid..ok, let's be honest, I still do. I bet it was so magical for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a lovely post!! a dreamed family!!
    My boots are from Zara, btw!!

    xx

    isa

    www.un-likely.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. As always beautiful photos!!!! Love the way you write - it's just so lovely and I really feel like I'm there ha :)

    Layla xx

    www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun family outing! I can't wait till my little girl is big enough to do the ferris wheel and big slide- but I am with you.. I might be a little nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, I've never seen such pure happiness! They are absolutely darling!

    xo Jen
    Skirt The Rules

    ReplyDelete
  14. it did a number on your nerves, but you sure got some gorgeous pictures <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like y'all had a great time! Truth - my parents HATED taking me to the fair. I remember vividly how much they hated it (and by they, I mean my mom). The crowds, the noises, the germs. I couldn't understand how my mom could hate it so much! However, from a mom's perspective, it makes sense. I think it is awesome that you braved it for your babies. These are awesome photos!

    Nikki
    thefashionablewife.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. So far yet so close. Felt almost like I was there! Thanks for sharing your life and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun! I love your writing style...so descriptive and captivating. Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning pictures !

    greetings from Sweden !

    www.leennilsson.com xx

    ReplyDelete