Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Thrills on Wheels

Maybe it's the weather, maybe it's just this time of year, but I have had a severe and beautiful case of wanderlust.



I find myself a bit antsy, just the teeniest bit bored, and ready, oh so ready, to go. Craving adventure, every part of me yearning to do something novel, to see fresh places, and try exotic foods. I want to do and be and explore and find. 

For now, to help combat this need, I'm starting small. Exploring what's around. Packing the wilds up and taking them to experience something they've never done, something outside of routine and the day to day.

Last week, we appeased my appetite by taking them roller skating! This was brand new to the kiddos, as at the farm there is not a speck of pavement or cement anywhere, so most wheeled activites are out. We waited till dinner had been prepared, eaten and subsequently cleaned up, then told them to get their 'town clothes' on- we were headed off on an adventure.

It was probably one of the funniest nights of the year. They wouldn't let us put Eleanor in a stroller, so we just rented her skates, which was hilarious. If you can even fathom a one year old in roller skates, it is quite a sight. It was basically two hours of Kaleb and I picking kids up off the ground. At one point we looked up and our eyes met, all four were laid out on the slick wooden floor and we just burst out laughing. Why, Oh why, do all my bright ideas seem to end like this? 



By the end of the night, Aussie and Isaac had gotten to where they could semi-get around. They came home bruised and sore but thrilled with themselves, and I came home happy. My thirst for thrill briefly satisfied. 

Now I'm off to plan this weeks excitement!

p.s. pictures are not great, but it was an all hands on deck situation:)


24 comments :

  1. So cute! Looks like they had a great time

    http://www.girlandthepolkadot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to a Kindergarten where they tought us rollerskating and several other sports, still remember how fun it was! Kids learn so quickly, in no time they'll be helping you and Kaleb ;)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?! That sounds amazing- I've never heard of that, but I know my littles would love it!

      Delete
  3. That's so fun! I don't think I've ever come across an indoor roller rink here in Canara...hose skates are amazing! Good for you for being adventurous in your own surroundings. I feel like that is often the last place we look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks they had an awesome time! And I hope this fun night rollerskating soothed your wanderlust.


    We're also trying to incorporate more of a vacation feel to our day-to-day routine by going out more often during the evenings, instead of staying at home. Ugh I'm so done with winter by now!

    Rita
    http://heyrita.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen sister- planning these little adventures is keeping me sane:)

      Delete
  5. Oh goodness, it has been years since I have been on roller skates. I wonder how my littl man would like it. We ice skate, weekly, so I bet he would love this. Will have to try it out!

    Looks like you guys had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well ice skating each week sounds pretty amazing. My wilds have been asking to go all winter, but we're always left with the dilemma of what to do with Eleanor. Still, I think I'll try to plan it for us anyway.

      Delete
  6. So cute...i'm impressed that you even got a few pictures=)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These shots totallyyyyyyy take me back to skating parties as a kid! Love 'em!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  8. These photos are adorable. Looks like heaps of fun! Reminds me of the old elementary school parties we had, where we'd skate around in these holding hands with the boys we'd like. xx


    Louise
    http://louiseplace.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm feeling that way too, I think it's a combination of time of year and the cold weather. It just makes you itch for an adventure. It sounds like you guys had such a fun time! This really takes me back, I used to love going roller skating as a kid.

    prosecco in the park

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I remember skating parties when I was a little girl and thinking we were so cool:)

      Delete
  10. You are planning such fun things for the kids! I was obsessed with roller skating as a kid- we would go to the rink almost every weekend. Such wonderful memories you are making with them!


    lovejoanna.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. ahh what fun! Maybe we'll try this with Finley soon- I always assumed he was too young!

    ReplyDelete
  12. the image of your four little ones all sprawled out on the skating rink almost had me burst out loud with laughter! i love your adventures spirit, it's so great that you do all these things with the children. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. hehe! That looks like so much fun. I honestly don't thin we have a skating rink left around here anymore, but I promised myself bowling soon!!!! :-) Can't wait to hear about your next adventure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you sister I have the travel bug too, I get it every 4 months or so... Also, "all hands on deck" love that!

    xo

    Michaela

    http://michaelajeanblog.com

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/MichaelaJeanArt

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I have such a strong travel bug this year too! I need to plan some nights like this since I don't see any big extravagant trips in our near future. I can't imagine trying to juggle all of your littles on skates. Such a cute story and great memory for your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite a sight- I'm sure I saw bystanders pointing and laughing:)

      Delete
  16. What a fun/retro way to spend a day! I loved roller skating when I was little!
    http://www.rosecolorglass.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved going skating as a kid, heck I still do! Of course I always opted for roller blades instead of skates. I could never figure those things out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sweet pictures! I JUST said to my husband yesterday, 'What ever happened to roller skating parties??' This post from you is encouraging to seek them out and skate for an afternoon! How fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would have paid to have seen that. These are the moments that can pull you up out of a "Horrible, no good, very bad day."
    Texas Jak
    www.novermyhead.com

    ReplyDelete