Friday, February 20, 2015

Stinker Daze




It was a terrible, horrible, no good, really bad day.

It just was.

It was one of those days where I was awakened at the crack of dawn, and right away- I just couldn't find myself. Nothing felt proper, my kindness seemed all used up and all I really wanted was to just close the blinds, crawl in bed and hide until the day had passed. 

looking back, I can see that it probably would have been wiser if I had. I was curt and sarcastic and said things I shouldn't have- and I knew, I knew I needed to to just stop. To pull myself out of this funk, restart and move on. It seemed so simple, yet I couldn't figure a way out. I was terribly lost in this day, wallowing in it's ugliness.

Then the wilds started waking up from their nap, stumbling out of their room one by one they converged. Piling on top of me, smothering me with their stinky breath and big smooches. These kiddos don't understand a bad day, they don't get the terms 'space' and a 'moment.' They just love wholeheartedly and unconditionally. Their childlike displays of kindness and need were a gentle cleansing rain, washing away any left behind yucks and leaving me fresh and restored.

We managed to scrap together the evening, piecing it into something good. Their were extra tight squeezes and more goodnight kisses then I could even count. There were late night snacks and stolen moments to chat about loose teeth and cupcakes.  We made it thru.

Now, I'm bundled up in my bed awaiting the morning. A little leg is thrown over mine, and a chubby hand keeps thumping down on the keyboard as a type- and I am overwhelmed with gratitude. Thankful to have a crew who loves me regardless- of a terrible, horrible, no good, really bad day.

Thank goodness it's Friday- Have a great weekend friends.

20 comments :

  1. Oh, how I can relate to this. I have more of those days than I would care to admit. And you are right...they are in their own sweet little worlds most of the time, but I can also sense a shift in my girls when my spirits are low. Thank you for sharing this!! I hope those little legs and hands keep you in good company all weekend :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the hard part about bad days as a mama. It's so affecting. Seems to go right over the boys heads, but my Aussie girl feels it- and it breaks my heart.

      Delete
  2. Oh those days... They come and they go and we hold on to them too long when our kids don't even remember what happened 5 minutes ago. They are amazing teachers aren't they? I hope you have nothing but the proverbial blue skies this week-end dear Chelsea. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are- the mama guilt that comes along with these days can absolutely be the worst part. I gathered them up and apologized for my behavior and they were like "we didn't even notice anything!" Oh my, sweet kiddos! Hope you and your crew are feeling better and have a great weekend.

      Delete
  3. your posts make me so, so excited about having a house full of littles. mornings covered in kisses and hugs? i truly cannot wait. xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made my day that this was your takeaway from the post! You will be an exceptional mother!

      Delete
  4. It is the hard days the make us truly appreciate the good days. I have found life ebbs and flows, good days mixed in with bad days, the key for me is taking a moment at the end of the day to find the little bits of magic to be grateful for...they are always there even on the worst days.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh gosh, all the feels! Those days.... I have literally taken myself to the bathroom for a time-out, and then sometimes I just straight up put myself to bed. (Easier for me to do since I don't have babes yet, I know) But yes, TGIF. I wish you a restful and bright weekend, Chelsea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just went through this myself. It stinks. I love my babies and they can turn most things around. I'm with you about Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So appreciate how you felt.....overwhelm is debilitating! Here's to a better weekend xxx (I'll be back 'online' properly shortly.....still feeling v. fragile....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw this post is so sweet! I totally understand those bad days, and I think you probably have a significant amount of more patient than I...but so happy you find your happiness in the madness.

    xo

    Michaela

    http://michaelajeanblog.com

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/MichaelaJeanArt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rings too on many levels. Hope you have a restorative weekend, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh, those days. They make the good ones seem that much better, but I can never seem to remember that in the midst of a bad one. Good luck! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a beautifully written post! And I love the photos...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel ya! Sometimes I wonder how I got so lucky to have such forgiving children.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, I know exactly how you felt! I am a pretty moody person and it happens that I wake up and KNOW it will be a bad day. My poor boyfriend has had his good share of snappy replies and evil glares haha. He knows to ignore it and send me off for a good run. Usually I come back home happy and relaxed :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Funny- we watched Alexander and the No Good, Horrible, Very Bad Day last night as a fam. You're right- kids don't understand bad days. Here's to a better one today. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww those days are no fun. I hope your weekend got better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had a day like that today! Aren't they the worst? But we push through them and often it is the ones we love who cheer us up! Thanks goodness for them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry you didn't have a good day, but that little face in those yellow glasses makes everything better!
    http://www.rosecolorglass.com

    ReplyDelete